This dairy free shortbread dessert is great for a summer night. Using fresh fruit like strawberries or blueberries with delicious homemade whipped cream is great after a day in the sun. I was inspired to use the dairy free option because it called for coconut milk and I want to try to cook with more coconut products.I hope you enjoy this recipe and don’t forget to let me know if you recreated this on twitter @CandDtoLV or repin this recipe on Pinterest!
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tbsp cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- Strawberries or fruit of your choice
- homemade whipped cream – dairy option – homemade coconut whipped cream (1 can coconut milk or 1 pint heavy cream)
- syrup of choice: maple, agave, honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease baking sheet
- To make the coconut buttermilk, combine coconut milk, lemon juice and vanilla extract until smooth and set aside.
- In a large bowl add flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Whisk ingredients together and add coconut oil and 3/4 cups of coconut buttermilk. The dough should be sticky add more buttermilk or flour to get the proper consistency. It should look like this
- Shape the dough into 6 round discs. Then place the shaped dough onto a greased baking sheet and arrange the portions so they are touching. Further, add either white cane sugar or brown sugar to tops of dough for additional sweetness.
- Bake at 400 F for 15-17 minutes until the outside begins to lightly brown.
- While the shortbread is baking, either make homemade whipped cream or coconut cream. Whipped cream requires 1 pint of heavy cream and whisk until stiff peaks form. Coconut cream requires coconut milk to be refrigerated for about an hour and then whisk until firm.
- Finally, cut up strawberries or fruit of choice and slather them in syrup of your choice.
- Once the shortbread is done cooking and cooled, cut them in half and place whipped cream and fruit in between to form a strawberry shortcake.